Re: [DL] Hexslinger vs Shootist

Quoting Nick Zachariasen <zacharin@pluto.dsu.edu>:

> O.K., here's my understanding of the situation:
>
> * Hucksters: Your original flavor, cards-in-hand caster of hexes; learns
> from Hoyle's Book of Games and peers
> * Hexslingers: More gun-oriented Hucksters who get their hexes from other
> Hexslingers; learns only from their peers, but can learn Huckster hexes from
> Hoyle's Book of Games
> * Shootist: An "official" group of Hexslingers run by the Texas Rangers;
> learns the same way as a Hexslinger but in a structured environment

Hucksters are a main book class of spell-lobbers who grab power from manitou in
a battle normally visualised as a game of poker.  At this point "Huckster" and
"Hexslinger" were used interchangably.

Hexslingers per se' first appeared in Law Dogs and were intended to be a
different flavor of hex-lobber.  If the tradtional hex-lobber is a Maverick-like
gambler, the Hexslinger is the Man with No Name.

One of the goals of Hexarcana was to reprint the arcane backgrounds that
appeared in the booklets, so hexslingers weren't touched as they had already
appeared in a major book.  But they needed a bit of touch up to get up to speed
with the newer mechanics, so they were redone in Lone Star, along with a
rewrite/revamp of several of their hexes, as well as getting a much cooler name.

Aside from thematic differences in how the hexes appear (cards in hand vs.
mystical effects around the guns), the manner of becoming one (Book of Hoyle vs.
mentor), and whether or not they get the extra gambling bonus, they are the same
type of spellcaster.  All mechanics (poker draw, cost of hexes, et al) are the same.

To say that they can learn each other spells is a bit misleading.  It is more
accurate to say that out of all the available hexes, hucksters tend to choose
one style of hexes and hexslingers tend to choose a different style.

The way I understand it is now hucksters refer to gambler-hexslingers, shootists
refer to gunfighter-hexslingers, hexslingers refer to both, and hexslinging is
the skill that both use to power their mojo.

There may be a group of shootists in the Rangers, but I believe (no books with
me right now though) that they have any special name outside of being part of
the band.

Here's what was said before:

	Hexslingers: Casting Hexes
	Q)	What is the difference between the way a Hexslinger casts his hexes and  the
way a Huckster does? In terms of roleplaying, does the Hexslinger  visualise his
battle with the manitou as poker, or something completely different? I realise
the game mechanic is the same, but the lack of the Gamblin' bonus, the
description of Hexslingers as having their guns "crackling with electricity"
(the Graves story from ToT:1877) as opposed to constantly playing with cards,
plus the lack of the sleight of hand aptitude for the Hexslinger archetype tells
me that the visual effect is quite different - does this carry over to the
actual casting of the hex? Not an incredibly clear question, but please, do your
best =P  (also contains one of the longer sentences I've ever written in an
email...<shrug>)
	A)	I think it mainly depends on how you want to visualize your character.  I
don't think they necessarily have to do the whole "cards appear in hand bit"as
long as there's *something* odd about what they do (e.g., the aforementioned
guns with little arcs of mystical lightning surrounding them). Personally I have
a hard time with the "cards in hand" bit when the Hexslinger's hands are already
"filled," as they say....  :) [Steve Long, DL listserv, 9/12/98]
	Q)	Do cards appear in a person's hand when they use a hexslinger hex? -
Smilingbandit
	A)	They can if you want, but don't have to; generally a hexslinger's hands are
already filled -- with guns.  In my games, typically the hexslinger's effect
manifests as ghostly energies arcing around the guns or some such. [Steve Long,
HoE listserv, 1/4/99]
	Q)	Near as I can tell, Hexslingers work just like Huxsters, only they use a
bit more specialized collection of hexes. Fair enough. When huxsters cast hexes,
magical cards appear in one hand. So how do hexsters who use two guns cast
hexes? Can they only use hexes if using one gun?  - Draxus
	A)	Someone maintains a DL FAQ, right?  If so, for the love of heaven, please
put this in there.  This question has been asked far too often; we might as well
standardize the answer.
	My response, for what it's worth: no, cards don't have to appear in the
hexslinger's hand. You can use some corresponding, and more appropriate effect;
for me, for example, typically their guns crackle with strange eldritch energies
which are visible even in daylight.  OTOH, if you want the cards to appear, that
can happen, too, but it doesn't limit them to using just one gun; simply have
the cards show up in one hand and fall to the ground as they draw or fire.
Based on a whopping 20-second conversation with Hal Mangold at Origins, I think
(without putting words in his mouth, since he can certainly chime in on this if
he likes) that he favors the second approach.  Personally, I find the first much
more picturesque and flavorful -- but that's the great thing 'bout gaming, you
can do it in whatever way you like! [Steve Long, DL listserv, 7/24/99]
	Q)	The answer is no.  Hexslingers are "special" and don't need a free hand.
Maybe John has cleared that up for Hexarcana?
	A)	I didn't hit hexslingers in Hexarcana, since they appeared in a standalone
sourcebook. However, my take on it is that yes they do need a free hand, but
instead of cards they hold their gun in it.
	I'd also say there's some sort of notable effect that might get them busted as
"witches" if detected. Maybe a glint of light off the barrel when it's twilight,
cylinders spinning when they shouldn't, etc. I'd let either a sleight o' hand or
gunplay roll sneak past a watcher though.
	The reason I'd require the guns is to keep them somewhat in balance. Hucksters
have to actually look at the hand and have their dominant hand free (i.e., no
other weapon in it). Hexslingers can have their hands full with guns and either
shoot or cast depending on the situation. [John Goff, DL listserv, 5/09/00]

	Hexslingers: Focus
	(Ed note: also see Hindrances: Focus)
	Q)	A hexslinger needs a focus, typically his gun, to do hexes. Is this a
Hindrance? (As the sample Hexslinger template has a 1 pt focus-dependent
Hindrance.) What if the hexslinger loses his focus? (I suspect he shouldn't be
able to do any hexing.) - fish
	A)	A hexslinger needs a *gun* to make most -- though not all -- of his hexes
work.  This could be any ol' gun, or it could be his favorite engraved
Peacemaker that Wyatt Earp gave him for his birthday. The latter, obviously,
could be a focus if he wants to take it as such (as the Archetype did), with all
the benefits and drawbacks attendant on doing so.    But simple loss of a gun,
per se, wouldn't prevent him from casting hexes.  He'd just need to find another
gun. )  [Steve Long, DL Listserv, 08/18/00]
	A)	Let me clear this one up...  A focus is a specific item that the huckster
(hexslinger--a rose by any other name, etc., and so forth) must have on hand or
suffer a penalty to his roll. Said penalty equals the point value of the
Hindrance, from -1 to -5. It has to be a _specific_ item--i.e., Uncle Steve's
Colt Peacemaker, not any pistol.  A hexslinger _may_ have a focus; if so, it's
probably a firearm. However, regardless of whether or not he has a focus, most
hexslinger hexes are _useless_ without a gun. That, if I understand correctly,
was the very nub of Steve's gist. -)  [John Goff, DL Listserv, 08/23/00]

	Hexslingers: Learning Hexes
	Q)	I have a player that is running a Hexslinger and OOC (out-of-character) he
has told me that he wants his character to learn some spells out of Hucksters
and Hexes.  What is, or is there a game mechanic for this? It is easy to
roleplay out, but I want to know if there is a mechanic for it?
	A)	 I don't have any specific mechanic in mind.  I'd just make 'em work hard at
it (at least at first), since the methods of training tend to differ and the
Hexslinger who wants to explore the "other side of the street" is going to have
to find his way over there (i.e., learn how to read hexes out of Hoyle's).  Some
hexes, such as Missed Me!, Phantom Fingers, or Kentucky Windage, might not be
subject to this since they fall within the Hexslinger's "metier," so to speak.
[Steve Long, DL listserv, 9/14/98]

--
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com