Re: [DL] Why do people grumble about deadlands d20?

  --- Nicholas Bouquet <nbouqu1@prodigy.net> wrote: > okay, disclaimer
first.... I'm a big fan of Deadlands, PEG and
> especially Shane, however critizism is necessary when warranted....
>
> Classic DL players DID get the shaft with Deadlands: Lost Colony....
and
> D20 is to blame... Lost Colony was nowhere near your best work.....
> arguably your worst. Too much space was eaten up for D20 rules, space
> that could have been used to make LC the product you origionally
> invisioned.

Out of interest - do you think that the DL20 players "got the shaft" in
LC as well, as too much of the space was eaten up with DL classic
rules?

It seems to me that at least one of the reasons that LC has done so
well was that it drew on the whole of the Deadlands fan base - classic
and D20 alike, Weird West and HOE alike; and I would imagine that this
is good for Pinnacle.

The way I view it is that Pinnacle commited themselves to doing LC with
D20 stats, the moment the decision to do HOE D20 was made.  They could
have had a one off with Weird West D20, however once they provided two
parts for the D20'ers, they couldn't stop and miss out the final, much
heralded, part.  Maybe I risk making Shane sound like a saint, but I
suspect that having introduced D20'ers to Deadlands he isn't suddenly
going to leave them high and dry, and turn back to classic only.  He's
sold them a product and he is commited to that product and his
customers such that he'll continue to provide for them, assuming it is
a viable option.  Sure I expect he prefers classic - but he created the
system - how can he not prefer it?   Anyway I think that as long as
there are Deadlands books being published they will have D20 and
classic stats in them.

Back to LC, even not knowing the financial implications of publishing
book, I can see that it would be stupid for Pinnacle to produce two
books of the same material with different stats.  So LC had to be dual
statted.

So dual stattedness (making up words as I go along here) aside, what in
your opinion would have made LC the product originally envisioned?
What was missing?  How could it have been improved in game background
terms rather than in system terms?

> There is no other way to put this.... The Lost
> Colony Rulebook is a piece of crap. You can do better. You have done
> better. I've seen it. I am very disappointed in you, Shane.

Did you mean this to sound like a high school report card?

Cheers

Roy