Re: [DL] Accessories <Shane>

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 02:44  PM, Peter King wrote:

> Im, gonna have to be kinda careful how I word this for reasons that
> would doubtless later become apparent.
> I personaly love the idea of a few more accesories although if I had
> my choice, I would like to see a metal version of the Law Marshals
> Badge as seen on most of the Deadlands publications, possibly without
> the bullet hole. I guess $10 - $12 would not be too much to ask for
> such a great peice.

Since i mentioned some feed-bacl to the idea, here's the site (I think)
for the Futurama toys I mentioned:

http://www.metaltoys.com/Futurama.htm

Which is a sub-site of:

http://www.metaltoys.com/

First, Futurama playing cards!!! I may have my new HoE deck...

Anyway, the good stuff seems to actually be here:

http://www.rocketusa.com/images/52.jpg

However, they appear to be a wholesaler more than anything else, so
I'll go back to google a bit...

Anyway, after some searching, it might be very cheap, it might be very
expensive. If it's like some printing gear I've worked with, getting
the mold or die made for most modern manufacturing equipment might be
ridiculous, but after that it'd be dirt cheap (as in someone could pump
out several hundred a day).

Still, it's a neat idea and I'd provisionally buy one depending on
level of suck.

> Also I think some officicial Fate Chips, maybe in leather with the
> deadlands logo on and playing card suits around the outside, possibly
> with their own little baggie?

Store chips in a bag? I think that may be blasphemy... I wouldn't mind
getting a set of the nice ceramic poker chips to sue instead of the
cheesy plastic ones I use now, but this seems like a better opportunity
for Shane to jsut post a link to a few retailers...

> With regards to the soundtracks, everyone would like to see another
> one or more brought out but knowing the work involved it is highly
> unlikely I think.

Yup.... I also think they're low sellers.

Other neat merchandising concepts for Shane to steal if he wants:
Deadlands beer mugs
Deadlands wallets
Oh, heck. Just stamp the logo on everything...
Deadlands... the Flame-thrower!

It's important to keep in mind that gamers tend to be a cheap bunch.
This has been the doom of many a store (cheaper to buy online) and the
reason so many 'intriguing new concepts' like the TSR scenarios with
included CDs or flip-cards generally failed. (For that last one, the
lack of quality I've heard about may have contributed.) Pinnacle
apparently has a bunch of the leather-bound collector's Deadlands
hardcovers in stock... but they're a very select item in what's already
a niche market, so I guess Shane has good reason to not go overboard on
knickknacks.

Oh. and there IS a Deadlands store on CafePress. Please keep in mind
that Shane may be judging future prospects by the sales here...

Oh, and Shane, if you are doing that, please keep in mind the number of
gamers that try to avoid white T-Shirts.  I've passed up several
cafepress shirts because of that very reason. (The HoE baseball cap
looks nice, though.)