Re: [DL] New Prestige Class:The Black River Belles (Spoilers)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:58:45 -0700, cnc80@shaw.ca wrote:

> Still hunting down a classic deadlands book to convert everything,
but
> until then, here's another prestige class to wet ya whistle.
>
> http://crpgn.mortality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155
>
> As always, I am looking forward to feedback.

Well, here’s some: I like this PrC, for the most part.  Here’s a few
comments you might want to take into consideration:

1. These ladies are actually known as “Memphis Belles.” - River o’
Blood, pages 25 & 91.

For the rest, we’ll mosey on over to Marshall Territory...

Players, scram!

You’ve been warned....

Okay, here we go:

I’m really of two minds about this PrC.  If you take this as a direct
translation from Classic DL, a Belle shouldn’t have any magical ability
whatsoever:

“Nor do they have any skill in the dark arts that many veteran Witches
practice.”  - RoB, pg. 91.

In this light, there’s really no need for a PrC at all - just make the
baddest Gunslinger you can, with some emphasis on Charisma-based
skills.

That being said, I -do- like the idea of a slightly magical gunslinger.
 Perhaps the close, long-term exposure to Mina Devlin’s black magic has
given the Belles “something” that accounts for the spell-like abilities
they possess .  They may see it as just their own natural skill,
however, and not as anything they have no control over.  Here’s a
slight tweaking of the PrC (unless otherwise stated, class features are
the same as the original concept):

"Hey Sugar, just because a gal’s purty doesn't mean she can't handle a
shootin’ iron."
- Words said by one of these polite ladies, just before she shot down a
"troublemaker."

If the Wichita Witches are Mina Devlin’s mailed fist, then the Memphis
Belles are her velvet glove. Not only are they Mina’s personal guard,
they also are the ladies sent when a more subtle approach is required.
Despite this, they are very much ladies, and woe to the forward
gentleman who takes too many liberties with them.

They are known for their solid-black clothing and shiny Colt
Peacemakers. However, when attending local social functions they dress
in a manner that would make a eastern debutante proud. This combination
of gunslinging and social skills makes them extremely dangerous to both
life and reputation.

In addition, long-term exposure to Mina Devlin’s magic gives a Belle
some power of her own.  A Memphis Belle can influence others in a way
that seems almost magical.

A Belle who leaves Black River’s employ (or rather, attempts to - there
are no known instances of a Memphis Belle leaving Mina’s service...
alive) can never advance further as a Belle, but does keep the
abilities she has gained.

- Slight change to explain the magical abilities.  I figure anybody
who’s going to become a Memphis Belle knows more than most people do
about Mina Devlin.  Plus, I’m a grammar nut, okay?

Additional Requirement:

Gender: Female

- this may seem obvious, but you never know with some posse members...

Changes to Class Skills:

- remove Scry and Spellcraft from the Belle’s class skill list.  They
aren’t spellcasters; they have no real need of these skills.  You can
also save a little space by just using “Knowledge (all skills)” instead
of listing several Knowledge skills along with Knowledge (all skills).

Changes to Class Features:

You Call Yourself a Man (Ex): A Memphis Belle can use her sweet but
venomous tongue to rip right through an opponent. The Belle makes a
Ridicule skill check, and the target must make a Will save with a DC
equal to the result.  If the Will save is failed, the target suffers a
-2 to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, ability checks, skill checks
and saving throws. This lasts for one minute per level of the Memphis
Belle. This can be done once per day at level 3, with an additional use
per day gained at both levels 6 and 9.

- No change here, just reworded it to make the process a little clearer
and to show that this is an Exceptional ability.

Play ’Em Like a Harmonica (Sp): The Memphis Belle is a mistress of
playing with people’s emotions. Once per day, the Belle can affect the
emotions of others as if an emotion spell had been cast on them by a
Huckster of the Belle’s character level. The target is allowed a Will
save versus a DC equal to the result of the Belle’s Diplomacy,
Intimidate or Ridicule skill check (depending on the type of emotional
tweak).  This can be done once per day at level 5 and one additional
time per day at level 8.

- Reworded for clarity and to indicate that this is a Spell-like
ability, and added the use of the Intimidate skill.

Wrapped Around Her Little Finger (Sp): A Memphis Belle gets so good at
manipulation that it seems almost mystical in nature. At level 10, the
Memphis Belle can attempt to enthrall a member of the opposite sex.
Once per week, after talking to a fella for 5 minutes or more, the
Belle can affect her target for the next week as per a dominate person
spell cast by a Huckster of the Belle’s character level. The victim is
allowed a Will save at a DC equal to the result of a Diplomacy skill
check made by the Memphis Belle to avoid the effects of this ability.
Once successful, any future use of this power against the same target
is made with a +5 bonus to the DC.

- Again, no change, just reworded for clarity and to indicate that this
is a spell-like ability.  Did I mention I’m a grammar nut?

Hope this helps,

Bruce

=====
“For God’s sake, man, don’t fire! I’ve a wife and family!”
- Thomas Spence’s last words as President of the Republic of Manitoba, 1868