[DL] new marshall question (hexslinger deck)

I'm just starting a campaign using DL classic and one of my players needs to know when his hex deck gets shuffled. I've looked in the books myself and can't find anything about it. He assumed that it works the same as with the action deck (when the black joker comes up or the deck runs out), and that makes sense, but if his first hand is four aces, he could be stuck for a while till he gets that joker.

Can anyone clarify this for me?