[DL] Confederate Rifles (long)

I remember seeing a post where someone was wondering about Confederate
rifles - I've forgotten who though - sorry.

I'm not a gun expert - but the the section below comes from "Civil War
Guns" by William Edwards.  I've tried to select the relevant text.  I'm
sure if there is an error someone more knowledgeable about rifles will
correct it.

Also in Back East: The South there are two southern rifles in the form
of the Martini-Henry and the Mk 1 Snider/Enfield.  This book states
that the Martini-Henry is currently the standard issue long arm of the
Confederate and British Armies

++++++++++++++
Confederate Rifles and Rifle Muskets were of eight basic categories.

1) Early in the war both the U.S. Rifle and Musket Model 1855-61 became
standard issue as made in Southern Armories.

2) Copies of the Mississippi Rifle in .58 caliber, often adapted to
take a sword bayonet, were another state favorite.

3) The British Enfield, of both imported sand domestic made origins had
it's influence.

4) To a limited extent the continental features appeared in some long
guns such as the Texas Tyler Rifle known as the "Austrian".  Such cross
of types also appeared in the Tallassee Carbine which was adopted  in
1864 as the standard pattern for Confederate Cavalry.

5) Breech loading cavalry carbine - excellent copies of the Sharps
slightly modified were turned out in Richmond.  Such were the so caller
Confederate Perry, the still unidentified "Rising Breech" model and the
simple and fudamentally excellent Tarpley cavalry arm.

6) Imported Rifle and Rifle Musket.  Among these popularly tabbed as
"Confederate" are such arms as the Calisher & Terry.  Plus rifles of
Belgian origins, Austrian rifles completed the score.

7) Battlefield salvage and reconstruction.

8) The standard US musket and rifle flint and percussion, of patterns
from 1798 to 1861.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Roy