From: coyote
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: [DL] Newcomer - d20 Question

Hi Paul-Andre',

Good question. Well here's how I'd do it.

Marksman lets the character in question perform a coup de grace on somebody who's not expecting to be shot at. Ordinarily the only way you can perform a coup de grace is with a slashing or piercing melee weapon against a helpless opponent. A helpless opponent is one that is either unconscious, immobolilized, or in some other way incapacitated and therefore defenseless. Performing a coup de grace is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The marksman feet allows the character to perform a coup de grace without all those prohibitions save one and that is the target has to be surprised, i.e. caught flat-footed. The 5th level ability allows a Rifleman to perform a coup de grace attack after only two rounds of aiming regardless of the target's state of awareness. Remember aiming is a full round action and it probably does provoke attacks of opportunity.

I hope this answers your question.

Happi trailz,

--
Joseph C. Wolf