Re: [DL] You have to pay to play

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 04:56  PM, Matthew M. DeForrest
wrote:

> [...]

I feel obligated to mention that the affairs of demons would most
likely be impossible to understand... i don't want them turning into
the Warhammer Chaos Gods, but that doesn't mean that they have to make
sense to us 'mere mortals'...

<snip quote>

> OK, it's a long quote but I wanted to provide the examples before the
> question of mechanics.  I'd recommend that they be asked to do
> something
> like what is suggested above -- something small and seemingly
> innocuous.
> The next time they are in church, say a short phrase in Latin during
> Communion or a quick muttering of praise for Judas and his actions.
> Nothing much -- a small thing.  Make each one a private conversation.
> When you get to the ones who will do the gambling or have regular
> contact with the Manitou -- the huckster and Blood Mage -- tell them
> that they can get an extra chit for the gambling if they agree to do it
> the next time they know a Blessed is trying to call on the Higher
> Powers.
> Of course, the catch is that such an intentioned act will increase the
> difficulty of any Blessed by one step (Easy to Hard, for example).
> While this may not seem like much, let it be the fist step in the
> temptation.  After they do this, have the Demon appear regularly and
> offer them a bit of help or advice if they are willing to do something
> similar again.  Make each bonus a little more helpful and each task a
> little more against the powers of light.  Tempt them.  The Huckster and
> Blood Mage are the easy marks -- bonuses to their next spell,
> additional
> knowledge or directions to more books of lore.  Perhaps a gunslinger
> might be offered a bullet with someone's name on it or told of a
> gunsmith of the demon's acquaintance who can trick their gun out for a
> very reasonable price (Or for nothing, if the deal is good).
> Just a thought.  I hope it helps.

I may use these ideas, however... Not for the entrance fee, because I
don't want that to be too crippling, merely spooky and a definite sign
that they're not in control of the situation by entering the game.

I think I will use this, however, for the blood mage, who is under the
somewhat mistaken impression that his character hasn't been damned by
his heritage. He wants to learn more spells, and doesn't seem to
understand that the Blood Mage is, essentially, in the position of
continually borrowing a little more power against his own soul in the
hope that he will one day be able to 'score big' in the good deed sense
and earn redemption.

So a demon will offer him what he's been wanting... Magical knowledge
in return for favors. First simple things... I really like the idea of
being asked to speak a few phrases in a church which, as far as anyone
can tell, has no effect. The demon will, of course, have an iron-clad
contract detailing penalties if the BM tries to break his part of the
deal.

After this is done, he'll keep running into his new friend, who may
even offer to help him out of dangerous situations, but always for a
price... A price that will, eventually, involve allowing the demon to
run rampant (the appearance during the game is, as far as I'm
concerned, a special circumstance) or other foul deeds.

Thanks for the help...