RE: [DL] You have to pay to play

-----Original Message-----
 If you aren't a marshall, you may want to skip this one...

Anyway, my posse is heading to new orleans to find a widget I described
earlier, To do so, they will need to enter a high-stakes and very
exclusive game run by and for manifested demons that I've decided takes
places on rare special nights in the ghostly remains of a burned out
tavern that no one seems to want to rebuild on.

Anyway, this sounds good so far, and since I have both a 'gambler'
Huckster and a Blood Mage this plot seems amusing.  But one challenge I
want to add is an 'entrance fee' and I'm having some trouble here...

[snip]

So, any ideas for a suitably creepy entrance fee to a demonic poker
game.

Dear Brett,

Although I like a lot of the suggestions, they miss one key aspect of
your description -- what would a manifested demon really want with
memories and reflections?  Given your setup, I'd suggest thinking like a
traditional demon...or demon-hunter (although I use that description
loosely) and offer the following passage from a really frightening book
-- _The Malleus Maleficarum_ (Frightening for what it caused rather than
what it is):

	"And how may women have complained to us in our capacity of
Inquisitors, that when their cows have been injured by being deprived of
their milk, or in any other way, they have consulted with suspected
witches, and even been given remedies by them, on condition that they
would promise something to some spirit; and when they asked what they
would have to promise, the witches answered that it was only a small
thing, that they should agree to execute the instructions of that master
with regard to certain observances during the Holy Offices of the
Church, or to observe some silent reservations in their confessions to
priests.
	"Here it is to be noted, as already been hinted, this iniquity
has small and scant beginnings, as that at the time of the elevation of
the Body of Christ they spit on the ground, o shut their eyes, or mutter
some vain words. ...and so by slow degrees are led to a total abnegation
of the Faith, and to the abominable profession of sacrilege." (MM Part
II, Chapter 1)

OK, it's a long quote but I wanted to provide the examples before the
question of mechanics.  I'd recommend that they be asked to do something
like what is suggested above -- something small and seemingly innocuous.
The next time they are in church, say a short phrase in Latin during
Communion or a quick muttering of praise for Judas and his actions.
Nothing much -- a small thing.  Make each one a private conversation.
When you get to the ones who will do the gambling or have regular
contact with the Manitou -- the huckster and Blood Mage -- tell them
that they can get an extra chit for the gambling if they agree to do it
the next time they know a Blessed is trying to call on the Higher
Powers.

Of course, the catch is that such an intentioned act will increase the
difficulty of any Blessed by one step (Easy to Hard, for example).

While this may not seem like much, let it be the fist step in the
temptation.  After they do this, have the Demon appear regularly and
offer them a bit of help or advice if they are willing to do something
similar again.  Make each bonus a little more helpful and each task a
little more against the powers of light.  Tempt them.  The Huckster and
Blood Mage are the easy marks -- bonuses to their next spell, additional
knowledge or directions to more books of lore.  Perhaps a gunslinger
might be offered a bullet with someone's name on it or told of a
gunsmith of the demon's acquaintance who can trick their gun out for a
very reasonable price (Or for nothing, if the deal is good).

Just a thought.  I hope it helps.

Matt