Re: [DL] An unusual question about the martial arts

Quoting Brett Dixon <balance@tubas.net>:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 09:58  AM, cnc80@shaw.ca wrote:
> > What would be a good example of having the Sifu disadvantage?
>
> It does, as I remember, come at different levels... A lower level (-1
> or -2) might represent a master who's powerful and actually useful, but
> still hinders the character greatly...

One good (?) example of a -1 would be the Chiun, master of Sinanju from the
Destroyer series.  He's incredibly powerful, but ends up being more of a
hindrance than a help to Remo Williams.

He's too powerful to ever be captured, kidnapped, et al, but he tends to make
life miserable for the protagonist.

One scene I remember was Remo having to figure out how to take out a shotgun
thug in a truck stop absolutely quitely.  He knew about 8 billion ways to do it,
but it had to be done so that his sifu would not be disturbed while he was
writing poetry in the car.

Try a few phrases like
"You are a worthless student.  Your form is all wrong and your breathing is
horrible.  It comes from this soft western living.    The next time you fight
you must use only your left hand.  Nothing else."

"You have progressed far my son.  Now it is time for you to achieve the next
level of your journey.  Wear this."
"What is this,honorable master?"
"A blindfold."
"Ah. . . . Master?"