Re: [DL] What do i do wrong? (High Targets and booring long Combat)

Sadly, it's been a while since my last DL session, but maybe my advice helps you anyway.

Combat can take long. And it sounds that your players are really lousy when it comes down to rolling dice. I see a reporter with 2d6 in shooting miss the bad guy because he never rolls enough to hit, but surely the war veteran with his 4d10 will hit, now won't he?

Are you applying bonuses? Like +2 if you fire with a shotgun? Do they ever take time to aim?
I mean, if the opposition is just gun fodder, all it normally takes is one or two good hits with a pistol to bring em down, since damage rolls are added together.

Combat can be sped up if everyone is keeping track, so to speak. If everyone knows which bonus he gets on a particular action, they can roll for shooting, roll for damage and just tell you the result. If you use miniatures, they can even put them down on their own.
Frankly, that never worked in our group, so I still kept track for every bad guy.
What considerably speeds combat up if every only announces actions. If a player got 5 Action cards and he spends the first three for aiming, I don't need him to tell me every time he puts down a card that he uses that one for aimin +1, the next for aimin +2 and so on.
It's enough that he throws down 4 cards and tells me "I'm shooting with aiming +3".

Also: Do your players spend chips on their rolls? With a red or blue chip they can roll again and add the result to their highest die roll.
I once had a player who shot down a sharpshooter with his peacemaker.
I told him that due to distance he had to roll a 16. plus, he would only hit, if the hit location would be arms or head, so he said, "OK, I aim for the head as well."
That made the roll to 22, he used three cards for aiming and spend a red and a blue chip, rolling a total of 25 (with a skill of 4d10).

I just told him that the shooters dead - nothing's more embarrassing if you hit on that shot and then roll a mere 4 or 5 for damage ;-)

hth,
Markus