Re: [DL] What do i do wrong? (High Targets and booring long Combat)

 Combat can take long. And it sounds that your players are really lousy when
it comes down to rolling dice. I see a reporter with 2d6 in shooting miss
the bad guy because he never rolls enough to hit, but surely the war veteran
with his 4d10 will hit, now won't he?

i just have one player in my group that has d10 or even d12 and he is a
huckster that draw incredibele good when creating his caracter all the other
players have d6s in most of there atributes and rarly a d8.

>Do they ever take time to aim?

No normally they dont aim at all: " what does the +1 to hit gives me when i
take 1 or 2 wounds till i can use my second action and are at -1 or -2 for
the wound then?"

> I mean, if the opposition is just gun fodder, all it normally takes is one
or two good hits with a pistol to bring em down, since damage rolls are
added together.

In averange you roll 9 or 10 damage whit 3D6 wich is 1 wound for an averange
human so normally it takes around 5 hits before he goes down. or do we do
something wrong here?

> Combat can be sped up if everyone is keeping track, so to speak. If
everyone knows which bonus he gets on a particular action, they can roll for
shooting, roll for damage and just tell you the result.

was thinking about that too, till now i allways had to do all the
calculations for everyone and tell them "you have to roll 7+ to hit that
guy,.. so you rolled 10points of damage that is one wound..." and so on.
Since i am the only one that has the rule book noone else knows all the
modifiers and things for the combat besides the basics. but i am thinking of
handing each player a copy of the combat rules and tell them "read that and
get used to those rules so you know them when (if) we play again.
 > What considerably speeds combat up if every only announces actions. If a
player got 5 Action cards and he spends the first three for aiming, I don't
need him to tell me every time he puts down a card that he uses that one for
aimin +1, the next for aimin +2 and so on.
> It's enough that he throws down 4 cards and tells me "I'm shooting with
aiming +3".

im my group that would look like this: he trows down 4 cards and tells me "i
am shooting 4 times at that walking dead"

> Also: Do your players spend chips on their rolls?

no normally not they save up all the chips they have to negate wounds since
even a single light wound gives a -1 penalty and they are even less likely
to make any roll afterwards (same reason why they dont aim) this is why i
was also thinking about lowering the penaltys for all wound modifiers by 1.

> > While they are quite happy with the background they have BIG problems
with the rules. one thing is that the target numbers appear really high. a
target of 5 is somthing that is rarly beaten and 9 or 11 is allmost
impossible. i am not so sure but i guess its not supposed to be that hard.
do we do somthing wrong by taking Skill Dices and count just the highest?
but i guess that is somthing that i can change by just generally lowering
each and every target roll by 1 or 2.

> > the other and more serious problem is that combat has the tendency to
bore all the players to death. as soon as someone draws a gun you can be
sure that this will be the last scene in that session since combat never
took less then 3 or 4 hours. most of the time everyone shoots just air and
never hits and if the hit the do no or just 1 wound and then you still have
to see where the shoot lands how much wind the shot does and so on. we where
using the mook rules from the revised edition but i think of giveing the hit
point rules from the original rules a try since there even shots that dont
do a single wound still do up to 5 hits.