RE: [DL] LARP

>Out of curiosity, how many of you on the list (this extends to your posse
>members any of you badge wearing types) would be intested in large scale
>Deadlands LARPs (Live Action Role-Playing)? I'm talking 30 or so people
>over the course of a weekend, involved in one big adventure.

Oh are you going to be jealous of me.  My wife and I played in a Deadlands
LARP not 2 months ago at MACE and had a ball.  But that's not the jealous
part.

There was a company here in the SE who used to run LARP weekends.  Not the
boffer kind (actually hitting people and tossing little packets for spells),
but totally non-contact and open to anyone regardless of physical ability.
The very first one we went to was very much like Deadlands.  It was a
western, but instead of magic, the "strangeness" came from a broken time
machine that had appeared in that era.  Anyone that died (a likely
proposition given the velociraptors that were pulled in by the time machine)
would become subject to "reverse entropy" and live on as a nearly unkillable
Revenant (read Harrowed).

Sound like fun?  Try this... there were probably about 100 players, and we
had a state park campground to ourselves for the game.
It rocked.

It'd be nice to do it again someday.  I've even given thought to my own
non-contact LARP rules in the hope that someday I'll be independently
wealthy and have the time to do it.  :)

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the
world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You
know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over
I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The
smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."