Re: [DL] Civil War Banned from Knox County Schools

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 08:26  PM, Joey Fanning wrote:

> It turns out that the year after I get out of my county's school
> system, they bought new U.S. history textbooks.  They had no
> information on the Civil War.  In addition, I've learned from my
> friends still attending that in place of civil war history, they're
> teaching 9/11 stuff.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't everyone
> over the age of 7 know what happened?  My sister didn't even know what
> colors the different sides wore!  Now I must teach civil war history
> to all my friends.  Has anyone else been experiencing this?  I'm sure
> that the civil war is something that we're supposed to forget about in
> this time of abnormally high patriotism, but isn't one of the most
> important reasons to learn history to learn from the mistakes of the
> past?  The worst part is, I live in the south.

History's a weird subject. I think there has, historically, been two
very distinct trains of though in it's teaching.One is the dry,
stereotypical focus on dates, names, and events. The other is the more
'modern' viewpoint,t hat teaches History as a series of demonstrative
examples... Taking the concept of "those who don't remember history are
doomed to repeat it" [1] to an extreme. I had a lot of the second style
in my education, and I admit that much of my grasp of history is pretty
bad. There's a huge number of special topics that have been forced into
most history programs nowadays that really mess with things. I had a
teacher in high school that refused to use the standard Black Histoty
Month material... She felt, and looking back i agree, that it lessens
the impact of the various peoples and events of the planned lesson if
they are singled out and compressed... it makes them feel like an
add-on instead of an important part of a whole story. So we just kept
rolling, and actually approached the 20th century, a rarity for every
history class I ever took...

Anyway, the oe thing I think many of the 'good' teachers overlook is
that there's a lot of 'secondary' sources for learning history that may
interest students better...  Movies and such, if looked at properly,
can provide the motivation to look at historical events deeper to
determine the true (or at least, more accurate) version of events
without the exaggeration and editing that is the job of Hollywood.

September 11th stuff is, at present, too fresh for History I think... A
social studies program, yes... Even if it overlaps a bit and tries to
cover the background of the Middle East, even though this could
probably serve as the basis for a multi-semester college program. It's
something any current students have lived through and a social studies
environment may also be a more tactful way to deal with it... After
informally checking with friends and coworkers last year, an
overwhelming majority of people I know have at least a
friend-of-friend-of-friend level contact who  had some part in
September 11th, be it as a displaced New Yorker, DC driver, office
worker, rescue and police, up to actual victims and their families.
This is a subject that should be talked about, but it's got to be done
right.

Oh, wow... That's a huge reservation list for my soapbox. i should
start charging for tickets. oh well, here it is for the next rant...

[1] Or at least mangle the quote.