Re: [DL] Civil War Banned from Knox County Schools

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 08:51  PM, Harry Canyon wrote:
> Come to think of it, I don't think I learned much about history until
> I was
> out of school and sought it out on my own.

Most high school programs are so rushed, I think, and the teacher is
working to maintain focus and keep everyone ont he same page (if you'll
pardon the pun) that it does really discourage students who would be
intereested in elarning more about particular periods.

Oh, on a semi-related note, the Ken burns Civil War series is available
on NetFlix for anyone who would like to see it semi-economically. I've
got it in my que, and will be interleaving it with comedies and regular
films so I'm not wasting time on holding it until i've got weekends to
watch...