Re: [DL] Civil War re-enacting

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 08:11  PM, Dan Sulin wrote:

>> Civil War re-enactors.  They are all knowledgable and usually VERY
>> passionate about the subject.  With any luck you can get both Billys
>> and Johnnys to show up and maybe get a dialogue going.
>>
> That kinda gets me wondering.  How many people here have tried Civil
> War Re-enacting.  And how exactly does it work.  Do you act out a
> certain battle and all the people have a script.  Or are there actual
> rules.  Or is it all improvised.
> It always seemed kinda fun, but I never understand how it works

I've never done it myself [1] but I did, several years ago, attend a
weekend in Virginia with a friend and his parents. As far as I can
remember, it's semi-scripted. (I.E. the same side wins, and their may
be some 'set pieces') but two major things are the large segments of
'camp life' where a large chunk of the re-enactors live for a long
weekend in a camp at least vaguely recognizable to a Civil War soldier.
I believe the necessities of having large groups of people with replica
weapons and beer in proximity means that 'military discipline' gets
enforced to keep serious mishaps from occuring.

 From what I remember, battlefield rules are pretty fluid. It's not a
'game' so there is nothing wrong with getting up after being 'shot' as
long as you give the shooter a while to play.

 From what I remember, the camp-bits and the showing-off of uniforms and
gear is at least a big of a part as the actual battles.

I hope there's a few re-enactors on the list that will expand on this
and correct me on any mistakes I've made... It's an interesting hobby,
and while I personally am not a fan of or LARPs, I recognize it as an
'allied' hobby to role playing...

[1] On the other hand, due to some friends I am now the proud owner of
appropriate gear for visiting the Maryland Renaissance Festival, and
can attest first-hand as to how long it takes to prepare a traditional
kilt to be worn...