Re: [DL] d20 blessed and turn undead.

In a message dated 1/11/03 3:29:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, cnc80@shaw.ca writes:

think I need to explain the blessed.

He was a god fearing farmer from ohio who pretty much lived all his life on one with his wife marthy.

3 years ago a plague hit the farm town, taking away his wife of 20 years as well as other farmers in the area.

A few days later, his wife rose from the dead.

When he saw his wife, he called upon the Lord to strike down this abomination...and it worked.

He then burned what was left of the body and set off into the wilderness to serve the Lord whereever he would take it.

Ever since then, he has been wandering the land with a bible in his left hand and a sixshooter in the other.

He not really a preacher per say, more a divine vigillante of the Lord (arguing quite successfully that a blessed does not necessarily refer to a priest, minister or nun).

Yup...  I like that concept.  It's why i really liked the Crusader prestige class in the "Way of the Gun" and cant wait to get my hands on the other "Way of" books.. I really like the 'Way of the Huckster' but i really feel that the Shootist should have been a prestige class the more I read about the Crusader (what appears to be a holy version of the Shootist).

He is a very cool character that is very well played and is being played by an experienced character.

He is also a serious pain in the butt sometimes.

That's the real sign of a great Player... They can be the cause great things, but they can also be teh cause of alot of problems. But mostly i have found they make the games much more enjoyable.

But i love the character concept. It's simular to the concept i came up with for a teamster whose entire family was wiped out when the Wagon Train he was the trail boss for was attacked by the Lakota indians.  This is what propted the US to send Custer's 7th Cavarly to show the Indians that you don't attack and kill innocent civilians.

The party is roughly 3-4 level, to give you an idea on levels on encounters.

Hum... In my d20 campaigns I like to start my players out as 3rd to 4th level (sometimes higher) because i have some really intense campaigns. Basicly i put my characters through a "quest campaign" with a loose outline that is simular to a TV Series or Movie format with the PCs as the shows stars.

I'm also trying to make him more apprehensive about using his miracles.  Any ideas?

That's easy.. Take a page right out of the Reverend Grimmes "Big Book of Bad ju-ju" (trademarked by me...).  Have someone preforming 'miracles' as well... but SLOWLY reveal them to be on the other side of the fence.

Basicly a 'dark blessed' character that would be the Deadlands equivilent of a Cleric of an Evil God.

Take care and stay safe,
Richard