Re: [DL] Chemical Weapons

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:07:05PM -0800, Marguerite Frey wrote:
> --- John Billings <jmb@dwarven.co.uk> wrote:
> > Yes - don't want an madsci bag of holding thing.
> > It's the mad sci archetype's bag from the player's
> > guide.
>
> AH!  That explains it.  That is a carpet bag
> laboratory, which allows him to do mad science without
> any penalties.  Without it, every time he makes a
> blueprint (or formula), he had to drop one random card
> from the hand he draws.

Ah-hah.. really must read all the rest of the rules at
some point..  at the moment i'm fudging lots of things,
but everyone seems to be having fun...  they keep on
asking me to come back and run again, anyway.  Only
knew one of my posse before the start of this adventure!

> Contents wise, I would guess it contains minimal
> actual chemicals since those would probably be covered
> in the cost of what he's actually making.  Assume some
> minimal basics for experimentation purposes (sulpher,
> ammonia, hydrogen peroxide), plenty of equipment (gas
> burner, mechancial tools, glasswear), and perhaps a
> reference book or New Science magazine.

Sounds sensible. I've given my mad sci S+R to read, on
the basis that he has this literature.

> On that note, I recommend this site:
>
> http://www.levity.com/alchemy/index.html

in the words of b3ta, woo, yay, houpla..  looks like a
site worth delving in to, assuming he survives the next
encounter :)

> > Now, there's fun.  Drop two random chemicals in a
> > puddle, what happens?  Roll d20 and consult
> > the 'Spills Table'.
>
> *nod*  Good idea!  I'd love to see it.

I shall probably end up with a new attribute for this
sort of fighting -

One attribute roll will probably cover: Success in
pulling a chemical out of the bag, where a botched roll
results in spilling on your feet[1], raises on the success
will allow adjustment of the d12 ph roll[2], the same
roll is then treated as a throwing: chemicals, raises
allow modifications to hit locations as normall.  Damage
would be calculated from a ph based table, with previous
acid/alkaline hits in the same location causing an average
new ph rating for the location, based on this:

acid = anything below a 7 on a d12 - the amount below a 7
is the acidity, so a roll of one (strong acid) would give
an acidity rating of 6

alkalie = anything above a 6 on a d12 - the amount above
a 6 is the alkalinity, so a roll of 8 (weak alkaline)
would give an alkalinity rating of 2.

the acid above thrown on to badguy #1's leg would do some
damage looked up on the table per round until the mad sci
chucks some of the alkaline on it by mistake - this then
neutralises a level of acid for each level of alkaline,
giving us a new acidity of a palatable 4.

It's a bit noddy so far, but i'll polish it.

once there are two chemcials mixed, roll on the 'Spills
Table' to see what gives. If the table is a d20 table
then just add +1 to the result for each additional
chemical added - if i decide to make it more like the
scart table, i'll roll 1d6 per chemical or whatever.

comments and feedback welcome.

cheers,

John