Re: [DL] Fudging

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Michael Sprague wrote:
> As a GM I ask (as do most of the GM's I game with) "What DCV (target
> number)
> did you hit?" rather than saying, "You need to hit a DCV of 8."
> Friends
> still playing D&D do the same with Armor Class ... asking what was hit,
> rather than telling what must be hit.  The main purpose of this is
> more for
> an aire of mystery ... players do not know right off the bat excatly
> how
> tough or wimpy an opponent is.  However, if it turns out that the
> opponents
> are too strong or to wimpy, I can fudge and adjust on the fly.

As a follow up to my previous post, I should mention that I include
'escape hatches' in most of my home-brew adventures. Either a way to
actually escape, or cavalry that cans how up, or some sort of surprise
revelation hat can make the enemies turn. If you haven't play-tested an
adventure, you need that sort of thing sometimes.