Re: [DL] Fudging

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 01:47  PM, John Billings wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:38:34AM -0500, coyote wrote:
>> The bottom line is dice are a tool for determining the outcome of
>> events.
>> Use them, abuse them, ignore them whatever it takes to tell the story.
>
> Interesting - i am sort of leading my posse through a story, but i want
> them to have a reasonable amount of freedom to bugger off.  I just
> means
> i need to have 20 plot hooks into 2-3 potential sub-adventures at any
> one
> time.

Some friends wonder why I like to run Paranoia once a year or so. One
reason is because it punishes the compulsive rules lawyers (Reading the
rules is treason, citizen.) and another is because it is an outlet for
intentionally bad GMing. Paranoia encourages the GM to ignore rolls,
lie, cheat, steal whatever. I do this both ways... I would often like
to actually get to the end of an adventure, so I trim a lot of the
instant-death-traps from paranoia and make them crippling instead. The
last time I ran a character got all his fingers eaten by a
self-destructing briefing, and had to deal with that until he finally
took a cone-rifle shell to the head or something. It's a good
experience, and I think it encourages better role playing.

Oh, the last reason I like to run Paranoia is because I'm a loony,
probably.