RE: [DL] Fudging

>Spoiler space.

>Marshalls amongst us - an earlier thread raised the point of fudging,
>or cheating - to what extent to other marshalls use this?  What
>techniques are used to pull off fudging convincingly either in the
>favour of PCs or NPCs?  I ask because last session i was desperatly
>trying to 'kill' a PC so that she could become harrowed (player is
>bored with being a fourth wheel in a group of PCs with 'powers').
>
>I created a 'manitou infested area' type situation, but could i kill
>her?  Could i *"&£$ - she had far too many chips, and it would have
>looked very strange to the other players (who have no idea on the
>harrowed thing) if she hadn't chipped all these wounds to her guts
>and head to avoid dying.  I also had a lot of missed shots from the
>minions i got on discount from Bob's Dodgy Minions-R-Us.
>
>With hindsight, i probably should have noticed the chipstack and
>ground her down a bit first with some guts checks and random rock
>falls or whatever, which would have made it easier, but I also
>played the minions exactly by the rules - was this my (non-)fatal
>mistake?  I dunno.  Anyway, comments and suggestions appreciated.

Fudge after the fact.  This character spent a lot of Fate Chips in an area
where the boundary between the real world and the Hunting Ground was weak.
Make that have an effect on her.  If you really want to make the player feel
unique, give her something entirely new.  She probably dependent on her guns
and equipment more than anyone else.  Make her a Tech Spirit Channeler.  She
can channel Tech Spirits to enhance her equipment.  Give her a skill
Channeling and maybe use a few of the Shootist/Metal Mage abilities as her
talents.

This can make her the center of attention for the other characters as well.
The next Hex the huckster casts, he sees her translucent form in the Hunting
Grounds (she's linked to it).  The Blessed won't sense any evil spirits or
divine link around her, and so will have to wonder where her powers come
from.  The Mad Scientist will possibly grow to love her if you add in an
ability that allows a second roll for malfunction on any device within a
certain distance of her (say 5 feet per Channeling level).

Anyway, just a thought.  You'd need to discuss it with the player of course,
but it could really allow the player to shine both in combat and in
role-playing.

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the
world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You
know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over
I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The
smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."