[DL] DL Historical Question: General Custer

Okay, now that I've finally gotten through the deluge of listserv mail -- serves me right for not keeping up with it since November! -- I've recently read through the incredibly cool yet sadly underrated Tales o' Terror, and I've got a question about Custer.  This may not require spoiler space, but I'll go ahead and put it in just in case...

Perhaps I need a history lesson here, but unless I'm remembering wrong, in our own world General Custer died in the battle of Little Big Horn.  How did he survive in the world of Deadlands?  I've combed the Marshall's sections of Quick and the Dead and TOT, and I can't seem to find the answer.  (Of course, the answer could simply be that I'm remembering incorrectly, but if not, then it's been something that's been bugging me for a while now and I'm dying to know what occurred).

Thanks,

-- Jim