Re: [DL] minis usage

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Dixon" <balance@tubas.net>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [DL] minis usage

> On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 12:28  PM, rrj wrote:
>
> > hi again, more questions :) more like a survey really.
> > on what do you place your minis?  a gridded battlemat, no grid and use
> > measuring device, or just eyeball the movement distance.
> > also, how often do you use minis in a night?  to represent battles in
> > between which you turn to verbal descriptions of what's going on?  or
> > constantly.
> > thanks!   robert
>
> I'm too lazy to grif things out and use a board, except in special
> combats. Plus I eel using a battlemat often removes player's incentives
> to do col stuff, and reduces them to basic attack mode, which is bad
> for a game like deadlands.

Interesting.  My experience is that using a battlemate adds to a player's
incentive to do "cool stuff," because they can better see what is around
them.  But that also assumes you do a good job of drawing it up.  :-)

Another thing I have not tried, but have heard of others doing, is to use a
large white board and a tape measure.  Players and GM's still get a good
feel for where everyone is, and what is around them, but no more counting
hexes (or squares) to move/place your figure in an ideal place, based on the
rules.  Now Players have to eyeball it, just like their characters would
have to do.  Players state what they are going to do, or where they are
going to try and move to ... and only then does the tape measure come out to
determine what actually happens.

~ Mike