Re: [DL] Hucksters and Backlash

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 03:28  PM, Paul Erik Lundstrom wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm just starting out as a Marhall here, and me and my Huckster
> has been wondering just how long a Huckster last? I would guess
> he'll see the Black Joker about once per session - it won't be long
> before he's a raving lunatic (or worse! hehe - ehrm..) So - am I
> guessing correct, or is it not really a problem?

As others have said, with the current rules backlash isn't that common.
I have a huckster in my HoE game (unplanned time travel) and he usually
casts several hexes per big fight. Note that since I'm running HoE, the
huckster takes backlash on either joker, and backlash is at a +4.

The truck is hat the huckster plays smart. His favorite Hex (and his
posse agrees) is Kentucky WIndage, with it's ability to turn a terrible
role into a great one and negate penalties...

Some things we've noticed:
Get the 'Old Hand' edge ASAP. It's a great thing.
Hexes are slightly less powerful than the normal HoE background. Two
hundred years of working up to Sykers has had a definite effect.
Tricks! Tricks provide the 'casual magic' a lot of spellcasters want.
They are cheaper and easier to cast, so it isn't a massive risk for
stuff that's basically a convenience.
I was feeling generous, so I have the huckster a set of Lucky Dice for
one belongin' point. They've saved his head once so far...