RE: [DL] Deadlands Darwin Awards

<SNIP>

> Stone:  For now you are in control
> MS:  And just don't you forget who is in control here BOY (I
> made a point of telling my Marshal that I was spiritually
> poking him in the chest to emphasize that last part).

<SNIP>

HA!  I hope you got a chip or two for that!  Not exactly sound strategy or
tactics, but fine roleplaying ;-)

Let's see, I've got so many to choose from, but have already posted a bunch
for other threads...

Crud, the best one contains spoilers...

...go away, I said SPOILERS!

Well, maybe spoilers.  I'll try to genericize and keep from letting any
harrowed cats out of the bag.

OK, in a certain published yarn, there's this underground maze.  The posse
had investigated it earlier and determined it has a pattern/shape to it's
tunnels.  Later, they manage to cover all the entrances and corner the bad
guy down there.  Then they implement their plan.  It was actually a pretty
good plan, I was gonna be hard pressed to keep the story from ending right
there.  They setup cover teams and worked it out so that there was always
someone able to see someone else, so there'd never be someone in a dark
corner by themselves.  Then they started the runners, to flush out the
corridors.  Life was good for them, until they hit the one section of the
maze that didn't let them maintain intra-posse visibility.  Rather than
falling back and regrouping, the runner went ahead.  "Hey, we haven't had
any troubles yet.  And I can always call out. Besides I've got chips to save
my bacon for the couple seconds it takes for backup to arrive."  said the
player in and out of character.

After a botched cognition roll and a botched check versus Stunning by black
magic, the confident character was not seen at the next checkpoint.  You
can't spend chips on botches!

The others finally investigate when the runner doesn't appear.  This pulled
them away from the exits, and the villain snuck out.  The missing runner was
found quite dead, with his throat slit in an most unpleasant and sacrificial
way.

Not as blindingly entertaining as "I take half the dynamite from my pocket,
stuff it in the old guy's pocket, and wrestle him into the campfire... I
rolled all ones...  Do all six sticks go off?" but I'd already related that
story on list.

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang