Re: [DL] Deadlands Darwin Awards

I only have one to share with this:

My posse was chasing down a Chupakabra, after sustaining injuries during the initial fight, a few decided it would be best to hide out in the safehouse at the north end of town, the huckster (who has taken too much backlash to be trusted in regular battle) decides - urged by the voices in his head to go out alone into the forest to hunt it down. It leads him in a circle and, in the morning, after the rain subsided, he found that he was just outside town.
Meanwhile, the Texas Ranger was headed to the inn to lick his wounds (the safehouse wasn'ty good enough for him) when he remembers "Oh wait, i gotta get the horses back to the corral" and saddles up. Too bad he didn't check behind the boulder when he was chasing the horse that was spooked badly.
The chupakabra had the edge as he surprised the ranger as he went to grab the reigns of the horse to lead it back. The Ranger succeeded in the roll to grab the reigns as he rode by, but botched on the roll to notice the attack. The chupakabra disembowled him as he fumbled for the dynamite from his pack, which he had dropped to get a better grip on the reigns. When the huckster returned to find him, he saw the Ranger face down in the dirt, and, thinking he was just taking a nap, went to wake him, crouched next to him, rolled the body over, failed the guts chedck and vomited into the now-empty chest cavity.
He buried the body and headed to the safehouse to convince the townspeople it was safe to come out, failing that (botched storytellin roll) he tried to appeal to the rest of the posse - they didn't believe it was really him, only the Martial Artist headed out. Nobody else bothered to go after not hgearing the MA die and, in disgust, the two headed out of town wondering exactly when, or if, anyone would come out
That's when the MA (who had joined late and had talked important info out of the townsfolk, which he chose not to share with anyone) made the huckster realize that the posse was set up to be killed.
Remembering the dynamite in the Ranger's pack, he told his partner "Wait here, I forgot to get something back there" and heads back to the town.
He set the four sticks of dynamite around the safehouse, trailed the fuse as far as it went (I think the Ranger had bought 900 feet or some crazy shit "It drops one die type from the wounds for every how far?" "5 Yards, you should know this." "Well, I'll just get a lot cause it's cheap and I don't have the best luck rolling for things like dynamite.") lit it and caught up with the MA.
The people in the safehouse got themselves worked up about the beast returning to finish them off and were to scared to even look outside.
(I had to game these two sets in seperate rooms so the rest of the posse wouldn't know what the huckster and the MA were doing, thereby giving them the chance to assume what they would about the scuffling they heard outside.)
And, as the Huckster and the MA walked off into the distance, the MA asked the huckster "Did everything turn out good back there?" The huckster assured him it was and the dynamite lit up the horizon even in the midafternoon sun.
Those trapped in the safehouse started checkin their grit for their chance to come back harrowed, "Well, can't only my hand come back to life like in Evil Dead?"
In hindsight, I think it may be best not to inform players that their characters can come back harrowed, they'll just expect it to happen when they get offed.

---marshal dan