[DL] Re: Deadlands Reboot

Good question. At the time Deadlands was the only
western game in town - GURPS Old West was a little too
GURPS (a useful book though) and Boot Hill was long
gone. I think the only other western setting was for
Castle Falkenstein.

I toned the background down a little - keeping the
ongoing civil war and an element of weirdness. I did
like playing with the alternative history, I just
disagreed with some of the choices made.

I ran it for a while, then we played other games, then
Deadlands again, then a longer gap and the purchase of
the ?second? edition (disappointment, it is the same
system) but when we came back to it - with a Cope
versus Marsh, dinosaur resurrection scenario (thanks
to this list for some useful suggestions then) ? we
found the system infuriating. I am not sure what
changed our attitudes to it. We had always found it a
bit clunky but we just gave up on it after that.

I have heard good things about Savage Worlds though
(apart from the cards ? and I believe there is an
optional alternative) so I plan on picking it up ?
with luck it will the simple, universal system I need
? what GURPS could have been if it had not become so
complex (I know the core is simple and the character
creation rules superb but the adds-ons really mount
up).

Michael