Re: [DL] The Black Chip

Here is my version of the black chip.

The Black Chip

Just as fate smiles on those that persevere against the odds and accomplish their goals, fate also frowns upon those that cause trouble and fail their desires. When the posse royally screws up an adventure and ends up leaving things worse than when they started, they earn a "Black Chip". Some examples of screwing things up include raising a the fear level, a major public disgrace for the posse, letting tough opponents get away, getting involved in the wrong side of a dispute, and gaining major notoriety for their magical or bizarre talents which would draw the attention of the Tombstone Epitaph or government agency.

An Unlucky Draw

When a posse member draws a Black Chip from the fate pot, fate frowns upon the group and bad things are soon to come. Remove the Black Chip from the pot just as you would a used Legend Chip and the posse member who drew the Black Chip does not get to draw a replacement chip. Each posse member gains the bad luck Hindrance for the remainder of the session. And to make things worse, the player who actually drew the Black Chip gains the Hindrance for 1d4 sessions.

Calling on Hate

As an alternative, if the Marshal draws the Black Chip from the fate pot, he may treat it as a Legend Chip for himself. In addition to the normal Legend Chip abilities the Marshal may call upon some other wicked devilry to fling at the posse. The only drawback is if the Marshal uses the Black Chip for any of these additional effects it is removed entirely from the pot.
Fear: When a player fails a guts check the Marshal can spend this chip to add 2d6 to the result on the Scart Table.
Giveth: The Marshal may spend this chip at any time to give any posse member one of the following Hindrances; Bad luck, grim servant o? death, lyin' eyes, night terrors, scrawny, or thin skinned. The hero is stuck with the Hindrance for 1d4 sessions. However, the unlucky sod can get chips for roleplaying the Hindrance like normal.
Taketh: The Marshal may spend this chip at any time to negate all the effects of a hero?s Edge, Gift, or Knack. Simply treat the player as if she never had the Edge, Gift, or Knack in the first place. This is only in effect for the remainder of the current session.

Enjoy!

-Steve