RE: [DL] New to the game....

The only thing I would add to Jeff's statement is choose the right time and way to kill a charector. Watch your players and when one starts to get a little tired of their favorite old charector rig up an adventure to snuff them out. I have found that players can be resentfull if their favorite harrowed lead slinger gets pinged in the brainpan by annoymous bandit #4 but if they go thumb wrestling Stone on a box of dynomite they will rememberr it forever

Justin

From: "Jeff Yates" <jyates@primaryfunction.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Subject: RE: [DL] New to the game....
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 07:58:56 -0400
Sender: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net

Welcome aboard!

Tips? Hmmmm. Use the dime novels as filler, but you got that. Have a
metaplot of somesort of your own to add continuity to your game, but you got
that too.

Well, how about this: Let the players help out with the mooks in your
campaign. If it's a bunch of guys that aren't too terribly special to the
story, evil flunkies as it were, then the players can handle the math of how
much damage they did and which ones fall. Can't do this all the time,
because then the players catch on that the ones you don't let them help with
are the important ones. But once in a while it's nice to offload some of
the work.

And something that works well for my group: let mooks go down easy.
Especially as the PCs get to be very experienced. Everyone still loves a
good shoot 'em up with lots of targets, but don't get hung up on whether the
last desperado gets his last shot off. Drop 'em with one or two player
bullets, don't even bother tracking mook ammo (how many times have you seen
them counting their shots on their fingers in the movies?), just have a
rollicking good dust up with enemy gang members dropping like flies. Sheer
numbers will get you a couple of lucky shots to keep the players honest, but
they seem to like to be able to empty their smokewagons and have bodies
littered everywhere.

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang