Re: [DL] "Mundane" Death

--- Jim Burzelic <zombi_bobb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am I seriously the only person in all of
> Role-playing-dom that doesn't mind a "simple" death?

You've got a really good point, Jim.  I think it's
easy for people to get attached to their characters
and have a difficult time with a less-than-spectacular
death.  I know I'm guilty of this - I HATE losing a
character more than anyone I know.

Case in point: My very first Deadlands character died
from a botched healing roll, AFTER completing Night
Train.  She was the longest-living character in the
campaign, and her death meant a massive revision of
the GM's campaign, I'm told.

I... well, I didn't handle it well.  I spent the
entire night trying to think of anything I had done
wrong when making the roll.  It was HARD to let go of
that character.

Now, though, when I look back on it, it was a pretty
good way for her to die.  I accept it.  Part of the
challenge of playing a hero in a horror setting is how
difficult it is.  You're right, this isn't a superhero
game where everyone gets thrown in nefarious
deathtraps they escape from next session.  Without the
risk of death, a character's actions seem less like
heroic sacrifice and more like jumping through
plot-hoops.

That isn't to say I advocate "Killer GM's".  If you
and your group want to play games where they
understand everyone's going to die eventually and it's
all a matter of time, fine.  Just make sure everyone
knows that up front and from the beginning.  No one
like having their character killed just because the GM
could.  And I doubt most GM's -like- killing
characters!  I don't know about Goff, though... ;-)

Marguerite

=====
Alea Iacta Est!