Re: [DL] "Mundane" Death

--- David Sumpter <lordthrog@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Have you ever seen a posse scared to cross a river?  Get your group
> together and watch Lonesome Dove, and they will be.  Even if they
> nothing happens, it's the wondering that will make it worth it.  To
> put this into game terms, just one death or even near death in a very
> inconsequential place in the action WILL (I guarantee this) have a
> lasting effect.  Even if it's a couple of players bickering and one
> says (in or out of character) "I'll kill you" right then and there,
> as the GM you should seize that moment and turn it into memorable
> mment for someone.  In my game, the teamster lost the use of his
> right arm (thank goodness he's left handed) for a good 4-5 game
> sessions.  If they aren't afraid of death (or injury) that leads to a
> boring game.  All bets are off for a Superhero game, though.  Not
> much death there.  As a side note, I always make the announcement
> that "someone is going to die today" to start our games.  It's
> usually the bad guys, but not always.

Oh, I fully agree. What I'm saying though, is that most players I meet
don't play that way. When I pull something like this I get bad
reactions from players. They want to be heroes without earning it. They
want to shoot without getting shot at. They want to win without risking
anything. THAT type of game is the one I am voicing against.

Jim