Re: [DL] Wives and stuff

heh heh. i did that in a tournament for stormbringer, about 15 years ago at a convention.
the adventure was called 'bane of the midnight sun'. none of the characters had magic; items, weapons or spells; and we had to chase down a murderer, who disappered, turned into a bat or wolf, or something that made me think of a vampire. well, besides the title of course.

well we chased him into a house where he dove, flew or floated thru an open window. it's midnight and the villian just went into his own huge mansion. i look thru the window and see a very expensive and expansive house. i had the best weapon of the group, a cutlass.

so, thinking on the spot. i took one of our lanterns, and smashed it into the room, and made sure i got everything burning. after the house burnt to the ground, and nothing was left standing over 2 feet high, 2 days later, at high noon we explored the rubble. we also kept everyone away.

we found the typical trap door in the floor to the cellar, and opened it, we then dug the hole bigger so that day light covered the entire area and coffin. you know there had to be a coffin down there.

well we opened the lid, staked him out, cut his head off, wrapped it/him in garlic, got holy water and wafers from the nearest church and made sure he stayed dead.

and we still had half the game session to go. ;-)
did i mention that i almost made the dm cry. he spent a while making up the house. he had each room layed out, with beautiful furnishings. it was his dream house.  he had an entire spiral bound notebook filed with descriptions of the house, rooms, furnishings, decor, traps, secret passages and such.
and i burned it to the ground. twice.
a friend of his came over to the table, that knew the adventure and asked him, 'hows it going, how many died?'
the dm's sullen response was, 'they burned it.'
'burned what?'
'burned the house, down, to the ground.'
i chimed in 'twice'.

he begrudgingly gave me 1st place for the tournament. the other 2-3 guys just stared or followed my lead the entire game. they lived.

never fight a man on his home ground. and if you have to, change the ground.
to quote richard pryor, 'fire is inspirational.'

marshal kt