Re: [DL] Fate of Deadlands

>>> steve@epciowa.com 11/6/2003 1:18:06 PM >>>
The rumor states that Deadlands is dead and that everything is being
transferred to Savage Worlds.
Is there any truth to this?<<<

I am a long time Deadlands fan.  And I need to offer my humble opinion
that this is NOT a bad thing!  Deadlands is NOT dead, but I think will
be revitalized and back with a vengeance!

A few months ago my wife was driving in our van in a back Utah road and
the van hit a deep, sand-hidden pothole.  This bent the engine frame,
and actually totalled the engine.  To our pleasant surprise, the
insurance company replaced the our old engine (with 76,000 miles) with a
brand new engine.  I liken this to the Deadlands evolution.  Same
skin...same feel...but a shiny new engine.

I played in my first Savage Worlds game by accident at Gen Con in
August.  I thought it was a Weird Wars game.  But what we found was a
phenominal new system that was quick and clean.  We were instant
converts.  I think Savage Worlds will do some great things for
Deadlands.  Much of the feel between the two games is still there
(inititive with cards, edges, hindrances, similar ability traits,
raises, etc.), but most of the things that slowed things down have been
refined.  I am still a bit dismayed that Deadlands Reloaded will not
contain the Savage Worlds rules within the book itself (and I already
own the SW rulebook...I just think it is cleaner to have them integrated
and easier to attract new players).  But the rules will work excellent
for Deadlands.

- Steve Bartell