[DL] Billy the Kid

I ran across this story from the Associated Press and thought you guys might like it. What I love about the Deadlands universe is that Billy the Kid could represent himself

Posted on Wed, Nov. 19, 2003 Lawyer appointed for Billy the Kid Associated Press

SANTA FE - Gov. Bill Richardson has appointed a lawyer to represent the legal interests of dead outlaw Billy the Kid.

Richardson appointed Santa Fe lawyer Bill Robins to act on Billy the Kid's behalf in the effort to determine the truth about the outlaw.

Robins' work is voluntary, Richardson said.

"There's no state money being expended," Richardson's spokesman Billy Sparks said Tuesday.

Robins, a self-described history buff, said he's excited about representing Billy the Kid, whose real name is William H. Bonney.

"I think Billy should have gotten a pardon a long time ago by (territorial Gov.) Lew Wallace, so I'm going to be advocating that the governor pardon the Kid," Robins said. "He was the only person who was ever convicted out of the Lincoln County Wars, when there were people shot on both sides and it was hard to tell who the good guys were."

But first, Robins will have to intervene in a Silver City case to exhume the body of Billy the Kid's mother, Catherine Antrim.

Lincoln County Sheriff Tom Sullivan, Capitan Mayor Steve Sederwall and De Baca County Sheriff Gary Graves have petitioned the Grant County District Court to order the exhumation.

They argue DNA testing would show whether Antrim was related to Ollie L. "Brushy Bill" Roberts, who died in 1950 in his hometown of Hico, Texas, proclaiming he was Billy the Kid. Fort Sumner residents believe the famous Kid is buried in their town.

Sullivan and the Silver City Mayor Terry Fortenberry are at odds over the effort.

Fortenberry opposes the exhumation.

Robins said he will appear on Billy the Kid's behalf at a Dec. 8 court hearing in Silver City to determine if Fortenberry has legal standing in the case.

Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 6 to determine whether the exhumation can be conducted.

Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es