From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On Behalf Of PEGShane@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 10:01 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] RE: deadlands-digest.20031207

Well said, Brett.

My decision remains, but know that you're being listened to (and were previously).

Shane

In a message dated 12/8/2003 10:59:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, balance@tubas.net writes:

On Dec 8, 2003, at 12:21 AM, Phalen, Pat wrote:
> Let me state my views more clearly.
> NOBODY is forcing you to stop playing "Classic" and making you play
> "Savage"
> If you have run out of "canon" material, congratulations.
> That's all I'm saying.  There are 40+ books/supplements and various
> Web Archives that can keep you playing Classic until the cows come
> home.
> If not, the compendiums should give you more than enough inspiration
> to keep your game going and going and going.
> Be happy that Shane is doing whatever he can to keep interest in the
> genre and keep the setting alive (ok harrowed)
> But what do I know, since we're still stuck in 1873.

I have an issue here: No printed books means that, to many gamers, the
system is dead. Yes, no one is taking away my copies, but convincing a
new group to play is difficult. A lot of gamers I know dislike playing
in a game where they don't own the core rules, and PDF rulebooks
requiring printouts to make an inferior version just aren't the same.

Some groups just won't play Savage Worlds... Some don't like the loss
of fine detail in the mechanics [1].

I've argued against this decision because I do feel it is a bad idea.
I'd like to see Shane do well, and I think putting all his eggs in one
basket on something that has, unfortunately, already taken some hits
due to other management issues[2].

Still, I feel I've done what I can. I admit I don't see every side of
the story. I don't know the financial issues, or the actual sales
numbers, or a lot of other behind the scenes stuff.

I do know it would be wrong to not let Shane, who I respect, know that
disagree.[3]

[1] And, note, I'm talking about the basic resolution mechanics, not
things like the arcane background system that may change when Reloaded
ships.

[2] Don't read too much into this, but I think the multiple versions of
the Deadlands rules (Classic, d20, GURPS, and Savage Worlds) has
fragmented it and damaged the games 'reputation.' Additionally, the
Cybergames fiasco and other events haven't helped. he books are still
good, but the brand is tarnished, and I think that a ultra-revised
Classic rerelease would help more than porting to yet another system
and doing a 'Deadlands Lite' version of the setting.

[3] As a final note, I try to keep these discussions civil. No personal
attacks, no flames, etc.

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)