RE: [DL] Re: London

Hi,
	A small correction regarding the previous post to be followed by
some general observations. First, the author of the Flashman papers is
*George* MacDonald Fraser, not James.
	Secondly, one thing to be remembered about late Victorian
Britain is the general sense of pride. The British Empire covers a
quarter of the Globe. No mean feat for a small island. This includes
Canada complete with a transcontinental railroad, Australia, India, etc.
British Engineering is second to none (possibly bar some American ghost
rock contraptions. The Royal Navy rules the waves: the rule of thumb was
that the Royal Navy had to be larger than the navies of the next two
powers put together. London was the financial capital of the world. I
could go on but all of these were great sources of pride for even the
average Briton. There should be a tremendous sense of "We are British.
We are the best."

    Daniel Gwyn

"Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The
days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.  How did
it come to this?"

Théoden from Peter Jackson's The Two Towers

On