Re: [DL] Shadowin'

  Here is the info for Shadowin' from the Accumulated
Rules.

Q) Shadowin' is listed as a Pinkerton skill in Law
Dogs. I was wondering where this skill is found. - ?

A) It was in the manuscript, but apparently was cut
for space. Had it been left in, it would be on pages
44-45. Here's the text from the manuscript: Shadowin':
This new Aptitude, based on Cognition, is a favorite
with detectives and spies. It allows the character to
follow and observe someone without being seen not very
polite, really, but sometimes the Weird West requires
a little rudeness. Typically, shadowin' someone
requires a Fair (5) roll for every block or so that
they walk in a city or town, or every mile or so they
ride or walk in the wilderness. The roll is reduced to
Foolproof (3) if there are plenty of crowds or other
obstacles to cover the character's actions, and
increased to Onerous (7) or even Hard (9) if there's
nowhere to hide, the subject being followed knows the
character on sight, or there are other difficulties
(it's mighty hard to shadow someone across the desert
when he can see for miles in every direction, after
all). Characters being shadowed can make a shadowin'
or search roll to figure out that they've picked up a
tail; the Target Number for this roll is based on the
circumstances, as described above the more cover the
shadower has, the harder he is to spot. [Steve Long,
DL listserv, 7/25/98]