[DL] Re: Fun with the House of Stuart

A really nice idea.

I think the Stuart heir around WW I was a Bavarian
field Marshal or some such ? I believe this was in the
biography section of the wonderful ?World War One
Sourcebook? but I have not consulted it in ages ?
though the companion ?Colonial Warfare Sourcebook?
might be quite good for Deadlands.

Using the name ?James Stuart? now makes sense though
you will probably get problems because of the famous
actor. What about a different Stuart name such as
Charles? Though of course they are Jacobites.

Blundered onto this:
http://www.jacobite.ca/gazetteer/Vatican/Stuart_tomb.htm
which is part of:
http://www.jacobite.ca/index.htm
which looks rather interesting. It has a family tree
which could be either useful or inconvenient.

Of course as an Ulster Scott the very word ?Jacobite?
tends to get a knee-jerk reaction from me and what I
know of the real history does them few favours as
well. Well Maybe James VI/I comes out OK (he passed my
history lecturer?s ?could you share a flat with this
man? test) and Charles II was  brilliant to pull his
kingdom back together again but certainly not Charles
I or ?Bonnie Prince Charlie? (AKA ?Jimmie the Shite? -
and that was what the Highlanders called him).
Fascinating characters but not really nice or
competent people.

Not of course that the House of Hanover did not have
its ?characters? as well. George IV seems like a nice
man (apart from his bouts of ?insanity?) but Prinny
was just a gourmand. Victoria was curiously middle
class in her ethics and beliefs (not a bad thing).

I reserve comment about the rest of house of
Saxe-Coburg-Gotha/Windsor mainly due to a lack of
interest save for alarm and incredulity over the
fascination that Diana still exerts. There is
definitely a modern scenario there ? mine involved
grave robbing, cross dressing and a transsexual
villain trying to ?become? Diana to tap the latent
power there. I think this for ?Unknown Armies? ? what
else would have worked?

The works of Laurence Gardner might be worth a look as
well. As history they have a certain unpleasant odour
but for an RPG they might be spot on.

Michael

=====
  - Richelieu