From: PEGShane@aol.com
To: Savage_Worlds@yahoogroups.com, deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] Help for a blind roleplayer
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:09:53 EST

Hey gang!

Anyone know of a good way to help a blind roleplayer with the die-rolling part?

Prob best to reply off-list directly to boomerdad@socal.rr.com. (His message is below.)

Thanks!

Shane Hensley

In a message dated 12/29/2004 1:01:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, boomerdad@socal.rr.com writes:
Hey, I have a question to run by you since you're much more in the know of the RPG scene than I am.? Heck, maybe you have a product that can help me out.

The hardest thing for a blind RPGer such as myself to overcome is the dice problem--specifically, the only kind of dice readily available in Braille are six-siders.?? Now, I'm not so limited as all that; I don't need Braille dice.? I found two very cool d10s with pips, and the pips make up different shapes so when your finger touches them you can tell what number was rolled.? Similarly, I've been able to find an oblong d4, with one number on each side, thus making taht number large enough and clear enough to discern with fingertips.? The main problem comes into play with the d20.? I have searched and searched, and not as of yet been able to find a decent d20 that is either made with pips (admittedly a difficult task) or with numbers that are large enough and deeply-engraved enough to be readable with fingers.? Plus, all these ... unusual dice are somewhat inconsistent; it'd be nice to have a unified set of dice, one that isn't so cobbled-together from scrounging through lots of different places.? I just wondered if you knew of any possible solutions to the dice problem.? I do have a computer program that is a random-numbers generator, but lugging a computer around isn't all that practical for me, and PDAs with screen-reading technology are around $1200, which is a pretty high price to pay no matter how good the game is.

I've determined that if all else fails, I'll just take some random scraps of paper, Braille numbers on them and put them into a container ... but there's something special about being able to roll dice, absent-mindedly letting them bounce around as you play, for no apparent reason ... and ya just can't get that with paper-scraps.

Thanks for any and all help you can give on this.? And thanks for renewing my desire to roleplay.? I've got a couple friends who aren't as into Westerns as I am, but they love Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, so I hooked 'em with Deadlands anyway.? <Grin>
--
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm