RE: [DL] Tale Tellin'

That seems to unnecessarily screw Agency types.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On
Behalf Of David L. Hoff
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 4:02 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Tale Tellin'

NaseyTiger@aol.com wrote:

I'm personally of the opinion that the point of Tale-Tellin' is to show
people that monsters can be defeated, the West can be reclaimed etc. I feel
that you should get a player to describe his tale BEFORE he makes the roll,
and either apply negative (or positive) modifiers to the roll as you see
fit. Or warn the player that they're barking up the wrong tree.

It's really quite simple; what the player did, telling the people there
weren't any monsters at all and that everything had a normal,
non-supernatural explanation is not Tale Telling; it is *Bluffing*. Now, if
the player wanted to use the Bluff skill to try and convince the people that
there was no monsters, I'd let them. The Agency and Texas Rangers do it all
the time. However, there is no reduction of the Fear Level and no Legend
chip gained for successfully Bluffing people. You only get those results
from Tale Tellin.

To sum it up, if the player wants to use Tale Tellin and wants to try and
lower the Fear Level and get a Legend chip, they *have*? to tell the true
story of what happened. They can embellish it or exaggerate things a bit,
like any good storyteller does, but the basic facts (There were monsters,
and we killed them) have to be there.

--David