RE: [DL] Snipers

I'd be tempted to have the sniper miss the first shot, dependign on how many snacks your posse bring you. You could also have it so that the first shot either takes down a horse from under a PC. Redshirts are also an easy way to get a warning of danger across.
You could also make them make fear checks, because I'm sure being used as target practice by someone you can't see is pretty frightening.

From: "James Killick" <james.killick@btinternet.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Subject: [DL] Snipers
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:24:10 -0000

Hello

I was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice on how to run a combat where the heroes come under fire from a single sniper. They are approaching across a plain while the sniper is embedded in a hill range up ahead, there is limited cover for the heroes.

I am quite a newcomer to the game and have only run the scenario in the back of the Marshall's handbook as well as a couple of shoot-outs just to get used to the rules with the players.

Any marshals run anything like this? Should the sniper get an automatic free action? How should I manage whether the heroes can actually see the sniper? Should I have them make a cognition roll before every action?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or a reference to the rules that I might have missed. I am playing the classic system.

Regards
James