Re: [HoE] Firearms [SHANE]

In a message dated 10/5/98 10:57:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jayhad@crsa.bu.edu writes:

> It might seem possible that given the change in history as we know it,
>  Colt might have redsigned and continued to produce the Peacemaker just for
>  the law dogs or law dog enthusiasts.  Basically the VW bug idea- make it
>  look the same (or close) yet modernise it...

Yeah, and they might give it another name, like the Colt Python, Colt
Anaconda, or Colt King Cobra...

Not too much has changed with the revolvers, it's the ammunition that has
changed the most.  Smokeless powder that burns at a consistent rate, machined
cases and balanced jacketed shots.  Of course, a lot of this is going to
change in the wasted west.  Black powder would probably make a comeback
because its easier to make, and hence black powder weapons and percussion caps
might make a comeback, simply because the technology no longer exists to make
the fancier bullets.

Which brings up another topic that irks me with HOE... under scrounging, they
talk about finding materials to put together some bullets, but don't go into
much details.  Black powder I can live with, but it puzzles me how somebody
can go into some well-picked ruins and put together the right chemicals for
fulminates/caps.  Is it really that easy to make your own bullets, because
black powder and lead do not a bullet make...