Re: [HoE] Katanas

In a message dated 10/10/98 7:48:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
deadlander@juno.com writes:

> Hence
>  I gave the katana a low defense modifier, especially if the weapon is
>  intended to parry the heavy european style blades.

I'm not so sure "can you parry with it?" is the most important question when
determining a weapon's defensive value.  I think its mostly determined by the
length/reach of the weapon, which effectively limits how close your opponent
can get to you without putting himself at serious risk.  In the HoE book, the
only weapon with a better defensive bonus than a sword is a spear, not because
its easier to parry with, simply because its longer.

So, if the main factor isn't "can you parry?" but length/reach, I'd say a
katana is still in the +2 neighborhood, regardless of whether or not you parry
with it.