Re: [HoE] Wasted West Archetypes:The Kid.

>Please don't misunderstand me here.  I am NOT in any way trying to
>validate the character.  I still think that it is a ridiculous archtype
>and am using the above as an example of the wierdness of the character.
>This CHILD is just as strong, as quick, and has more vigor than the
>Librarian and the Postman (well, the Postman is one die Quicker).  And
a >character that should be in the awkward stages of youth is more
Nimble >and Deft than the adult Librarian (by TWO die types) and beats
out all >the other Templates in the Wasted West book in at least one of
the two. >Please!  You can attribute deft youths these days to video
games at >least, or loud music (no wait, that's DEAF youths ;p ) but I
doubt if she >has seen anything more advanced than that gun she is
carrying in her >life.

>Templar Simon
>"No, the end with the hole points at the monsters!"

i think the kid is a big roleplaying thing. you've got to make sure
people don't abuse the archetype. drop the strength to d4 - i think part
of the problem is all the archetypes use the same card draw for stats
and there isn't a d4 in them. if i had a player with one of these, i
wouldn't let them up their shootin to more than 2 skill ranks - and i'd
insisit they use a .22 or aother small caliber too.

roleplayed properly, the archetype has a lot of roleplaying potential,
but as the GM we have a lot of responsibility to control the way the
player spends his bounty.

"I want to buy my shootin' up to 3"
"no"

simple, the player don't like it - tough. i'm the marshall & you chose
to play a kid. don't like it ? then make up a templar or something. and
you've got the same controls over getting him roleplaying well. the
player runs in guns blazing - fine. don't expect any bounty though. and
i find dishing out chips to everyone else and a stern look at the
misplayer (i made up a word !) soon trains 'em - its a pavlovian thing
:)

bottom line : we're the marshalls - we are god. and with power comes
responsibility. a misplayed kid can ruin it for the group - so wield
some of that power 'cos you is responsible.

btw - sorry - i ranted. that wasn't aimed at anyone i promise. i'm just
trying to defend what i think is a cool archetype.

pete 'soapbox' rogers