Re: [HoE] Real Life (TM) vs. Games

>>That's sort of my point.  Not that I've been in any nasty situations, but
>>seeing it on tv and then seeing it "real" might make it not seems as
>>shocking.

>Trust me, no matter how "real" they make it on TV (even those uncensored
>documentaries) it's still not the same. Can you smell someone who's been
>eviscerated on TV? Smell is a major factor. I've come up on scenes and
>before I could even see it I could smell the blood and I just knew it was
>going to be a bad one.

Yep. I'm not a cop, medic, or anything like that, but I did work with the
forest rangers for a while (up here in Canada, they're the ones who get to
pick up the dead moose that get nailed by a car). I've seen pics of dead
animals and I had an uncle who was a butcher. Nothing prepares you for
having to haul a water-logged, rotting deer carcass out of the river so it
doesn't pollute the water (or something, not quite sure why we had to, but
I digress). The biggest part was the smell. I could take looking at them,
but the smell was what got to me. And these weren't even dead humans.

In a game, I can take a dead body easily, no matter how gross, but in
real-life, the sight would probably have me heaving my cookies for the
first few times I saw it.

Marshall Paddy

-Keeper of the Tradeposts of the Mantis
-L5R Code (CCG1.1b) YA ++  S  G+  R+!r  Y+  C+  E++  M  T--  D++  K++  U+++
-L5R Code (RPG1.1) GP PR +++ CC +  RP+ GT: !  P+  MN + S++ G+++  R+  Y+ C++
-http://www.geocities.com/area51/lair/1961/
-copernicus@brunnet.net