Re: [HoE] re: Infestations review

>>I finished reading the fiction section of the second HOE dime novel
>>yesterday and liked it a lot.  As a matter of fact, I think it may be
>>the best of all the dime novel stories.  However, the adventure is
>>very difficult, I think it may be a posse killer.  I don't think I'll
>>run it for a while, and not without a warning to the players such as,
>>"don't be too attached to the character you play tonight."  I think
>>the highest compliment I can give the short story is that I had a very
>>vivid and disturbing nightmare about it last night.  I won't go into
>>the details because I don't want to put any spoilers into this message,
>>but I very much recommend Infestations.
>>
>>Geoff
>>
>If it's so tough, why don't ya simplify it a bit.  I admit I'm totally
>ignorant, as I'm in another country and haven't recieved my copy yet,
>but I really hate posse killers.  One shot adventures are fine, but I
>from the old school that feels that bad die rolls, bad luck and bad
>roll-playing kills posse members, not adventures.
>Disagree if ya want, but that's how I feel.

Hey Geoff, thanks a lot for the fantastic review. OK, so this listserv
ain't the New York Times, but that's the first-ever review I've had for a
=fiction= piece (and I've written something like 1,000,000 words worth of
published non-fiction). It was very gratifying (I emailed it to all my
friends and family). Thanks again.

That being said, I sure hope this adventure doesn't gain a reputation as
a posse-killer before anyone's even played it. It did get several
play-throughs before publication, and while challenging, it never seemed
to have an inordinate level of character death, even with beginning
players and characters. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I hope that
people will give it a chance at least!

--

Charles Ryan
Deadlands: Hell on Earth Brand Manager