[HoE] Re:game stagnation

Here are some ideas.

The first is on horror rpgs. HOE is clearly in that category.

The other thing that keeps me going is that I know more about things than
anybody else, but I also stress to my players that they are writing the
story as well.

On the other hand, I also think that roleplaying is about choices and
consequences. If my guys shoot up a whole town, they have to take care of
the grisely work of taking care of the bodies (there are no OOMpa Loompas to
do it for them.)

If a character pisses someone off or kills someone, it will ALWAYS bite them
in the     ass. If they do good stuff, they are rewarded.

Good Luck.

Chuck

This is an article on how to become a better GMit is by  S. John Ross.

Troika Lists

I like making what I call "Trinity Lists" (renamed "Troikas" for my
Storytelling chapter in Digital Web 2.0 since "Trinity" now means something
else to the wolfies, but so it goes). I also referred to the technique in
GURPS Black Ops, and will be referring to it in yet another way in the
upcoming Star Trek (TOS) Narrator's Toolkit. The troikas go like this:

  * A list of three conflicts that might happen in the game.
  * A list of three interesting NPCs that might be encountered.
  * A list of three intereting locations that the PCs might visit.
  * A list of three "tone-setting" events that might occur, to give
genre-flavor.
  * A list of three plot-moving revelations that might occur.

And the "optional" list includes

  * A list of three seeds to plant for future development
  * A list of three recurring threads to weave back in
  * A list of three puzzles, dilemmas or moral choices
  * A list of three strokes of luck (good or bad!) that might happen . . .

And so on. Making the lists insures that I have a LOT more material for any
given session that I need, and that I haven't overlooked something, and
that the adventure will be well-rounded. As much as anything, it's a
technique for "checking" my own adventure design, filling in the gaps and
so on.

In Digital Web, I also discussed applying "themes" to the troikas to keep a
consistent tone. In a Heavy Fantasy Game, for instance, your triple theme
might be God, Duty, and Family. Instead of just listing three NPCs (for
example) you list one NPC that invokes religious issues, another that
relates to the theme of Duty, and another that relates to Family in some
way. And the same for each of the others . . .

Pop 'em all on index cards, and cross 'em off as you go. Save any leftovers
for next week - and there will ALWAYS be leftovers, so making your lists is
only time-consuming the first time in, typically.

http://www.john.tynes.com/rl_mofo.html

http://members.aol.com/essuncius/cover.html