Re: [HoE] Re: [HoE]Templar mutie

Well, everyone has a different opinion on how Templars-mutations should
interact, and up until now I have kept my mouth shut on the various
issues.  I have been content to sit back, and idly listen to the banter.
	In this case, however, I feel the need to speak (or write).
	While everyone's campaign is different, and in their own way, I am
sure, thoroughly entertaining, balance should always be of utmost
importance.
	To begin with, Templars *are* incredibly powerful characters.  Their
abilities are the only ones that are instantaneous and free of
"activation" rolls (excepting the Lay on Hands TN for wound severity).
This is balanced by a severe Oath (5 points, if memory serves) that
translates into an equal value Enemy should the Templar violate (and get
caught violating) this Oath.  Second, there is an immediate, and
required 13 point Aptitude point cost.  This duo is incredibly limiting
to the Templar character, meaning that only certain types of folks can
be Templars.  Already five of your Hindrance points have been reserved,
as well as three of your Edges points (Arcane Background, of course),
*and* 13 Aptitude points!
	This is the *only* Arcane Background that requires more than five
initial points (Enlightened Martial Artists being the only others
requiring more than three to start...again, if memory serves).
Therefore, it stands to reason that the Templars powers would be great.
	And they are.  Ultimately they are super-human.
	Their powers are effectively "on" continuously (although some, like Lay
on Hands, have severe limitations on their usage), and can permanently
alter their Traits and Aptitude levels, have natural permanent armor,
and freely swap Action Cards.  Yikes!
	Plus, *all* Templars start with a blessed sword from Simon (adding +1
to fightin': sword and quick-draw: sword).  Yikes Yikes!  This is the
only Arcane Background that *starts* with a magical/enhanced item (aside
from Junkers and Mad Scientists, of course).
	So, the Templars already carry around a tremendous amount of power.  So
*why* give them the ability to remove the power of another Arcane
Background *so* completely.
	One of the most instructional miracles a Doomie has is Mutie for a Day,
and within Doomsayer cults, the number of mutations is just as key as
the severity.  Doomies cost *far* fewer initial points (3 Edge points,
for Arcane Background), but they also automatically receive one power
per faith level.  That gives the average Doomie (Grape or Lime...your
choice) more powers than the Templar, but where as the Templar's powers
work automatically (and for the most part, *all* the time), the Doomie's
got to make a faith check to invoke the miracle, and most Doomie's have
around 8-12 Strain.  That's enough for 8-12 atomic blasts, for sure, but
only one nuke!, maybe two for your tougher Doomies, and three, maximum,
for your super tough Doomies.
	The point is, both arcane backgrounds have their pros and cons and are
well balanced.  To allow one to undo the effects of the other,
permanently, is unbalancing.
	In my opinion, when it is said that Templar's can cure radiation,
illness and poisoning were implied.  To allow them to effect the genetic
makeup of a creature (which is necessary to cure mutations, as they are,
by nature...supernatural, major, or minor...genetic abberations) is
*incredibly* unbalancing, as Warma79129 stated yesterday.
	Not only does the power of removal of mutations present a hideous,
unbalancing, and, not to mention, ultimately unenjoyable effect against
many of HOE's nastier, but "human" villains, it also removes the effect
of some of their critters.  Trogs, for example, are: "...lost souls who
have become mutated beyond belief but are too stupid and stubborn to
die." (pg 221, HOE Rulebook)  Therefore, a Templar, capable of removing
mutations can wipe out Trogs with a single touch.  Similarily, a Templar
could also eliminate Grundies (see CotA), again, with a single touch.
Yikes!  Yikes!  Yikes!
	Therefore, and *finally* <as he steps *down* from his soapbox>, I would
rule (should such a thing ever come up in my campaign) that a Templar's
Lay on Hands can cure the effects of radiation (lost wind, nausea, etc.)
but has no effect on mutations.
	It would, therefore, be possible for a Templar to inhibit the
development of mutations (through use of Lay on Hands prior to a
mutation's onset), but would, in no way, effect mutations that have
already manifested.
	A Templar-Doomie war is still a *very* cool idea, and one I am most
interested in seeing how it evolves.  There is no reason, as I see it,
however, to tilt the scales *that* heavily in one "group"'s favor.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Sean "Pimp-Daddy HOE" Gore
--
RIFF†4