Re: [HoE] Re: Copyright

>> Hm. Evidently some names can be copywritten. When FRPG started putting out
>> the Doomtown card game, they wouldn't use the term Pinkerton, as it was a
>> copywritten (or was it trademarked?) term and they didn't want to risk
>> getting sued. Note the lack of the term Pinkerton in HOE (though, 'the
>> Agency' is mentioned).
>>

>False analogy.  The Pinkerton organization is a real corporate entity,

Sorry, wasn't trying to make an analogy. I had happened to be on the frpg
doomtown list at the time they were figuring out what to do. I couldn't
remember whether it was because of copyright or trademark, but thought it
might mean something to the copyright section of the discussion (as opposed
to the reckoning part.).

>while the Reckoning is simply an event (albeit a large, long-term event) in
>a fictitious game world.  FRPG wasn't worried about PEG suing them, they
>were worried about the Pinkertons themselves.  PEG apparently decided that

That's what I was trying to say. FRPG didn't want us even saying Pinkerton
on the list, in case they found out (valid concern).

>the concern was a valid one, and have gone the Agency route in all of their
>more recent supplements.

Did they start this in Deadlands, or HOE?

Marshall Paddy

-Keeper of the Tradeposts of the Mantis
-Member of the Hida O-Ushi Fan Club
-President of the Yoritomo Yukue Fan Club
-L5R Code (CCG1.1b) YA ++  S  G+  R+!r  Y+  C+  E++  M  T--  D++  K++  U+++
-L5R Code (RPG1.1) GP PR +++ CC +  RP+ GT: !  P+  MN + S++ G+++  R+  Y+ C++
-http://www.geocities.com/area51/lair/1961/
-copernicus@brunnet.net