Re: [HoE] Balance of Power(spoiler marshals only)

> > >Cheat a little.  Give a big bad guy the Seventh Son knack
> > >(I know they're not in HoE, but pretty it up as a power or
> > >something) and cancel the posse's chips that they're
> > >negating that crippling wound with.
> >
> > The problem isn't what to do with the chips, it's not having enough.
>Even
> > if I start a battle with 10 chips, I find most of them going to keeping
>my
> > NPCs alive.  White ones' use is problematical for improving die-rolling
> > anyway.  But when someone opens up on your prized bad guy with say, a NA
> > Sniper Rifle, those chips can go awfully quick.
>
>I recommend more chips.  Take your three as usual, and an
>extra one fot each major bad guy - big boss, mook gang
>leader, etc.  That gives you a nice starting pool, and make
>sure you take a chip whenever your heroes spend a red one.
>That keeps you a nice supply.  Remember to get your chip
>whenever a hero pulls a black joker too, and check the Fear
>section of your rulebooks - certain cards give extra chips
>and bennies whenever you draw them.

Oh, I don't forget that stuff.  But the group (and myself) have been
avoiding high Fear Level areas anyway, and I haven't found the card/chip
awards that much of a benefit.  Plus, the "fast combat system" tends to hurt
that as well:  drawing one card for 10 NPCs gives you a lot less chips due
to high Fear Level than drawing 10-20 cards for 10 NPCSs.

Also, you the Marshall don't draw a chip whenever your players _spend_ a red
one:  just when they use it on a die roll.  My players will do it in an
emergency, but typically they spend the red chips for either A) wound
prevention, or B) after they've already wounded the bad guy once or twice.
Players are sneaky that way.  ;)

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"